As many of you may already know the latest version of Zencart is v1.5. This was a pretty big overhaul to the v1.3.8 and v1.3.9 versions and I chose not to upgrade my clients to date because there was so many issues in regards to modules and compatibility.
Here is a list of some of the features that have been added/updated (only the ones that affect you the most – there were lots of bug fixes and other fixes that do not have a direct impact on you):
1) Admin passwords now expire every 90 days (required for PA-DSS compliance certification)
2) Admin passwords require combination of letters and numbers for more uniqueness and no less than 7 characters
3) Admin profiles is a new feature that will allow you to control what access various admin users have to your admin area
4) HTML editor removed as it has become obsolete (there is a new plugin called CKeditor that can be installed and is better)
5) USPS module has been removed from the core code and changed to being an add on, this is due to the constant changes made by UPS to the requirements and writing code for a module is much easier than a whole cart!
6) PA-DSS – prevent payment modules from ever storing more than 10 characters of sanitized CC numbers
7) Prevent built-in “gateway” payment modules from functioning if the site is not protected by SSL – so basically if you have no SSL certificate your site won’t work.
8) Add admin detection of SSL mode change and auto-expire all passwords if SSL mode is enabled either with ENABLE_SSL_ADMIN or using an https address for HTTP_SERVER
9) zc_install now treats supplied initial admin password (during install) as temporary … requiring the admin user to select a new password at first login. This is to prevent abuse from password sniffing.
10) Whos_online – several improvements to allow the option to exclude spiders and/or admin IP’s from the list of displayed results
11) Fix to admin customer search: search for new customers by customers_email_address to get correct customer and not everyone named Smith
These may not seem like a lot but it is! This version has been out for a little while now and I do recommend clients upgrade to this version. There is a lot of changes in some of the core files of Zen and there are still a few modules that do not work with this version (the modules are being updated, but they are not all complete yet) – so those of you with more complicated sites may have to wait a bit longer.
All upgrades will be done on a test server and then transferred to your host, this is too big of an upgrade to do on a live site.
If you are interested – shoot me an email and I will give you a quote. Estimates will range from $150-$350 depending on the complexity of your site in regards to features and customizations.