So, I sometimes get asked – “if you are so good at SEO, then why does your website not rank so well”?
And you know what – that is a GREAT question! Why should YOU hire someone who cannot even get their own site to rank! 🙂
In this day and age SEO/SEM Marketing is REQUIRED if you want to have a successful online business. So, why do I not rank well? Because my word of mouth business has kept me busy – and over the last year I was working as a contractor for another web company so I did not need new business and I never really bothered with optimizing my own website.
Well, recently that position ended, so it is time for me to ramp up 2 Dogs Design again – and I am going to take you along for the ride!
Below is a report from one of my tools that shows my current rank for 30 keywords that I am considering working with. As you can see – basically I am invisible in the search engines. So, I thought it would be fun to do a weekly post about where I am in rank – what I am doing each week and then letting you see the results! Maybe you can learn a trick or 2 — maybe you can just see if I am really that good or not – either way – it should be fun and hopefully you will learn along the way.
My main focus will be on optimizing for Google – both organic and local.
So, this week is my launch week – and here are statistics that are important to know:
1) My domain is almost 12 years old (I have not had it that long, I think I have had it about 5 or 6 years) – but age will help me in my SEO
2) I JUST redid my website completely. New content. New look. New everything. Yes, this also impacts things!
3) I JUST signed up for Google Places last week to try and get local listings. I entered my PIN just this week to validate my listing. I will talk about this more later.
4) I do not have a lot of backlinks and have not spend much time over the years at all optimizing my website.
5) At one point in time – just about a year ago, I did rank for a few terms.
Every Friday I will do an update post so you can see exactly what I have done in terms of optimization as well as the impact my work is having on my rank and traffic. I am going to start off with 3 keywords to keep this simple.
The rows highlighted in yellow will be the words I am going to begin optimizing for!
And just you cannot see them, the words I will be working on are:
- Web Design NJ – I do not rank at all at this time
- NJ SEO – I do not rank at all at this time
- Boutique Web Design – I currently rank at #65 in Google
Now it is important to know that these are VERY VERY VERY competitive terms. If you look in the last column which is called “Competition” – you will see that for “web design nj” there is a number 74,100,000 – yes, that is a real number and it basically means that there are 74 million RESULTS for that search term. So basically I am fighting with 74 million pages for that first page real estate!
So who thinks I can pull this off?
My FIRST UPDATE POST will be on NOVEMBER 15th! Be sure to follow me on LinkedIn or Google+ or subscribe to the newsletter!
…you can click to enlarge this image…..