There is not a lot to get excited about when you are talking about hosting – it is probably the least interesting part of owning a website, but sadly the most important one that people seem to always want to skimp on when it comes to cost.
You ever hear that saying “you get what you pay for”? Well, when it comes to hosting this could not have more meaning.
I have had my fair share of bad hosts since I started working on the world wide web. Yes, I am embarrassed to say that I started on GoDaddy just like everyone else – early on I did not know any better.
When I started 2 Dogs Media and wanted to offer websites and hosting for my clients I knew I needed something better than the shared hosting that was out there but I had no experience with hosting at all and did not know where to start even looking – or what I was even looking for.
I cannot recall how many different hosts I called back then – this was about 5 years ago I began my search – but I know it was a quite a few. Some calls I remember being way too sales aggressive for my liking – while others were just way outside the budget I was willing to spend.
But then the stars aligned and I found OUR new best friend on the web!
From the minute I got in touch with Liquid Web I kinda felt warm and fuzzy inside. They were just regular people who – even if they did not mean to – came across like they cared. SERIOUSLY that is how I felt!
So – since 2011 I have been a loyal client of Liquid Web, and do not plan on going anywhere any time soon. (You can see a little screenshot from my account to see the proof of loyalty!)
I actually signed up with them for a Virtual Private Server (VPS) because I knew I wanted to be able to have clients host with me in the event they wanted me to be responsible for the maintenance.
What is the difference between a VPS and Shared Hosting?
A VPS is a bit different than standard shared hosting in that you essentially own a “portion” of a server that may be shared with just a couple of other people. So for example – imagine an apartment building – say you own 20% of that apartment building that no one else can enter or have access to – that is kind of what VPS hosting is.
Shared hosting means you are sharing the server with many hundreds of people. So in that same apartment where a VPS owns 20% of the building, with Shared you do not even really own 1 apartment – you have full access to that apartment only but they can actually jam more people in that apartment if they want to – and the hallways – and the entrance etc. They will cram as many people into that apartment building as possible – as you can imagine this could wreak havoc on your traffic, site speed and security risks.
You have limited resources available to you and can typically only handle so much traffic. With cheap hosting companies like GoDaddy or BlueHost you may see thousands of websites on 1 server. Imagine that some of those are porn websites, spammy link building websites or any other illicit website you would not want your business associated with – these CAN affect your website.
How can that happen? Well, if your hosting is on an IP that has “bad websites” on them and that IP is considered a spam IP – many places will not show that IP, which in turn means you will not be seen or your emails will not be received.
So, why am I crushing on Liquid Web?
1) In the just over 5 years I have been with them, they have never let me down.
2) When I call for support – and in the beginning I called a LOT, they never made me feel stupid and went way above and beyond to help me. Admittedly some of my questions were actually in fact stupid!
3) Their customer support is TOP NOTCH – with all the different tech people I have spoke to I can only recall 1 that was not able to fix an issue I was having – that was my only negative experience I can even remember. Their support team are just great guys – they fix problems – and love to talk about their dogs! Ask how I know!
4) I love that my VPS is easy to manage – the intuitive platform allows me to easily upgrade or downgrade if we require a bit of extra space if a client has a big press day or an increase in traffic. The hosting we have easily allows me to upgrade or downgrade how much I need quickly.
5) No matter how many times our server has been under DDOS attack – and yes – it happens to EVERY host company – we have NEVER had a clients website hacked. NEVER EVER!
Why we are recommending the Liquid Web WordPress Hosting!
I understand that a VPS is not viable for most website owners as it can be cost prohibitive. But Liquid Web offers a fantastic WordPress Manage Hosting option that we are HIGHLY recommending.
1) Because our personal experience with them for the last 5 years has been 98% positive.
2) In 5 years we have had down time no more than 2x and that down time lasted only a few minutes. (There are chances of down time with ANY service – there are too many variable to expect 100% uptime). What we love about Liquid Web is that they are on top of it – they usually let me know there is an issue before I even know and then they rectify immediately.
3) They offer a 59 second response time guarantee on live chat and phone calls – I can attest you will usually get serviced faster!
4) Their WordPress Manage Hosting includes staging sites, automatic backups, free SSL, automatic updates and the best in security and page speed.
How much is their hosting?
It is not cheap – but that is the point. You can go to HostMonster or GoDaddy and get hosting for $5-$10 a month and then you are putting your website at risk. I cannot tell you how many clients we have seen hacked who hosted on GoDaddy.
Liquid Web’s WordPress Hosting at the lowest price point is currently $119 a month.
But that allows you to host up to 10 websites!
So if you are a solo website owner who is thinking whoa that is way out of reach for me – why not team up with 9 other website owners and have your own little network of websites – then the cost would only be about $12 a month.
Well worth it for everything you get!
Liquid Web will even do free migrations – so you can get all the websites over to the server at no cost or stress to you which is an added bonus.